Tips to Using Sunscreen Correctly
July 14, 2021
July and August are often the months where people all over the country make the most of the summer weather by getting some sunshine. Naturally, spending some time outdoors means taking care to protect ourselves by hydrating and wearing sunscreen. But are you using the right type of sunscreen to protect yourself, and are you using it properly? See below for 10 reminders on how to make the most of the protection that sunscreen offers!
- Check the expiration dates of your sunscreen. Last summer’s clearance sunscreen may not offer enough protection.
- Make sure that your sunscreen is labeled “Broad Spectrum”.
- Make sure you are using enough sunscreen by following the directions and applying regularly. For cream sunscreens this is about a shot glass worth (around 2 ounces) of sunscreen per application.
- Use a minimum of SPF 15.
- Don’t forget to apply sunscreen to your scalp, or to wear a hat!
- Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes.
- Use sunscreen lip balms and take advantage of specialized facial sunscreens.
- Make sure to get the often forgotten areas of your body like the tops of your feet, backs of your knees, and your ears!
- Stay hydrated to keep your skin healthy from the inside while sunscreen protects the outside!
- If possible, avoid the part of the day wear sunrays are the strongest, between 10am – 4pm. You can also check the UV Index for your area to decide if it’s worth chancing the exposure.
Remember, nobody has died from chemicals in sunscreen, but every hour of the day someone is dying from melanoma. If you need to see one of our providers this summer, our urgent care centers are open every day of the week 8:00 am to 8:00 pm- No appointment necessary! We offer COVID-19 vaccination at all MEDcare centers. Click here for our page on vaccine facts and links to schedule your visit. Rapid Antigen and send-out PCR COVID-19 testing, as well as COVID-19 antibody testing is available, too! To be seen by a provider, simply walk in, or save your spot online by clicking here. For information on E-registering to save time click here. We look forward to helping you Get Better. Faster!