Tips for Healthy and Safe Swimming Week
May 26, 2021
It’s Healthy and Safe Swimming Week! Swimming and other water activities are favorite pastimes for summer weather, but it comes with some risks. The CDC provides several pages of tips for keeping safe while still enjoying the water this summer, and year-round! Below we have a list of 5 things to keep in mind when planning for fun summer water activities for you and your family!
- Research. Check online public facilities to make sure inspections are up to date for pools and splash pads. For beaches, check the rip-current levels. For both check the availability of lifeguards. Check the weather.
- Vigilance. Pay attention to what is around you. For beach communities this may be shark-watch, but for local pools this means paying attention to things like the equipment used in the pool, and the effective status of chemicals like chlorine in the water.
- Preparation. Keep life jackets accessible and use them accordingly. They are useful for all people in water emergencies, even strong swimmers (air filled circular tubes are not!). Plan for someone in your group to know CPR and be able to perform it in emergency situations, even if that someone is you. Don’t forget the sunscreen if you will be outdoors.
- Presence. While spending time in the water, be present for yourself and your surroundings. Children especially can drown silently within seconds. Public places are a vulnerability for many people, so it’s important to be present (not impaired by alcohol/substances).
- Prevention. Keep water exposure to your mouth at a minimum. Do not swim if you have recently had diarrhea. If you have been ill (like with COVID-19) do not visit public places where you could expose others until your quarantine is over as deemed by medical professionals/CDC guidelines. Dry your ears, around your eyes, nose, and mouth thoroughly when exiting the water. Do not go into water with open wounds like fresh tattoos, piercings, or surgical sites that are not yet healed.
Our urgent care centers are open every day of the week 8:00 am to 8:00 pm- No appointment necessary! We offer COVID-19 vaccination at all MEDcare centers. Click here for our page on vaccine facts and links to schedule your visit. Rapid Antigen and send-out PCR COVID-19 testing, as well as COVID-19 antibody testing is available, too! To be seen by a provider, simply walk in, or save your spot online by clicking here. For information on E-registering to save time click here. We look forward to helping you Get Better. Faster!