What You Need to Know About the COVID-19 Omicron Variant
January 05, 2022
As we all tried to make the best of this Holiday season, for most, the Covid Omicron variant was still in the back of our minds. Below is what the CDC currently knows about this rapidly spreading variant of the COVID-19 virus:
- The Omicron Variant is likely spread more easily than the original SARS-CoV-2 Virus, but the comparison to the Delta Variant is unknown at this time.
- Current vaccines are expected to protect against hospitalizations, severe illness, and deaths. There are cases of breakthrough infections even with fully vaccinated people.
- Treatment for the variant is unknown. Scientists are currently working on how existing treatments effect the variant. The CDC states that some treatments are likely to be just as effective well others may not be as effective.
- Masks still are a great way to offer protection against all variants and viruses for that matter. Recommendations are still in place for all public indoor settings, regardless of vaccination status.
- Symptoms for the Omicron variant resemble that to the common cold. Prominent symptoms are cough, fatigue or tiredness, congestion, and runny nose.
- The death rate for the variant is unknown currently. Research suggests that the Omicron variant is milder than its predecessors.
You can keep up with all the Omicron variant information as the CDC learns it by visiting this page from the CDC.
Our urgent care centers are open every day of the week 8:00 am to 8:00 pm- No appointment necessary! From 8am to 7pm we offer Rapid Antigen and send-out PCR COVID-19 testing, as well as COVID-19 antibody testing. To be seen by a provider, simply walk in, or save your spot online by clicking here. For information on E-registering to save time click here. We look forward to helping you Get Better. Faster!